Just as a consumer has choices, at Forever 21, we take our business choices seriously, including in the way we obtain the products we sell. We strive to have a positive impact not only within our stores and corporate family, but also upon hundreds of vendor manufacturing facilities throughout the world which make our products, as well as their employees.
We see these choices as part of a work in progress and that there is always more to do.
1. Supplier and Vendor Social Compliance and Ethical Sourcing
We care not only for our employees but also for the employees of hundreds of vendor manufacturing facilities throughout the world which make our products. We want all of these employees also to work in safe and healthy environments and to provide products to you, the consumer, which are made by such employees.
Therefore, our Corporate Social Responsibility program includes the Forever 21 Vendor Audit Program. While many of our vendors have worked with Forever 21 for a number of years and are trusted, all suppliers and vendors must provide factory contact information and all factories must participate in the audit program.
Here are Some Important Elements of our Program:
- Forever 21 enters into a comprehensive agreement with each of our vendors and their factories under which they promise to utilize legally qualified workers, pay them wages which are fair and legal in their jurisdiction, and provide an environment that complies with their legal requirements. Our agreement also covers issues of time off, free association rights, nondiscrimination, environmental protection and security, and prohibits the use of forced or slave labor, child labor, or prison labor.
- These Vendor Compliance Standards were developed to comply with industry standards, local labor laws, the California Transparency in Supply Chain Act, the UN Declaration of Human Rights and the ILO Core Conventions.
- We have a highly trained Vendor Compliance Team, which promotes and enforces lawful and ethical operations at our third-party factory sites. The Team accomplishes this enforcement by conducting inspections of our active non-US Vendor manufacturing facilities on a random basis to ensure The Vendor Compliance Standards are understood, respected and followed. We also visit most factories before We hire them, to ensure their facility and operations meet with our standards.
- After each factory visit, the Vendor Compliance Team provides a written evaluation of the factory, including any action items which may need correction prior to the next visit. We also do our best to provide ongoing information, advice, and support on fair labor, health and safety, and related issues.
- Our goal is to work with our factories to help them improve and ensure consistent compliance. However, in the event that we discover very serious violations or violations which are not corrected within a reasonable time period after our corrective action plan has been issued, we may terminate that factory from our roster.
We believe this process assists in guarding against potential unsafe conditions, workplace injuries or mistreatment, and also results in an overall improvement in factory efficiency and product quality standards.
Special Note About the 2012 California Transparency in Supply Chain Act
On January 1, 2012, the California Transparency in Supply Chains Act of 2010 (SB 657) will go into effect, requiring retailers and manufactures above a certain size and doing business in California to disclose measures used to track possible slavery and human trafficking in their supply chains. The disclosure is aimed at providing information to consumers to allow them to make better, more informed choices about the products they buy and the companies they support.
We make the following disclosure in compliance with the Supply Chain Act:
- Do we engage in third-party verification to evaluate and address human trafficking and slavery risks in product supply chains? We regularly evaluate and address human trafficking and slavery risks in product supply chains through inspectors who are employees of the company and who are also tasked with investigating internal or third-party reports of this nature.
- Do we conduct audits of suppliers to evaluate supplier compliance with company standards for trafficking and slavery? We conduct audits of our suppliers through inspectors who are employees of the company and check for compliance with company standards for trafficking and slavery. We conduct both announced and unannounced audits.
- Do we require direct suppliers to certify that materials incorporated into the product comply with the laws regarding slavery and human trafficking of the country or countries in which are doing business? We require such certification from our direct suppliers.
- Do we maintain internal accountability standards and procedures for employees or contractors failing to meet company standards on slavery and trafficking? We maintain internal accountability standards and procedures for employees and contractors who fail to meet company standards in this regard.
- Do we provide company employees and management, who have direct responsibility for supply chain management, with training on mitigating risks of slavery and trafficking in supply chains? The company provides training on detecting and enforcing procedures against slavery and human trafficking to such employees and management.
2. Charity Programs:
Shopping is becoming about the power you have to support charitable organizations when you buy their products. We know you love Forever 21 for great fashion, being on trend and always having amazing prices. What you may not know is that our passion for charitable causes and helping those in need is of the utmost importance to us.
At Forever 21, one of our core values is to encourage giving, to lend a helping hand to those who need it most. Over the years, we have carried product that has helped a number of organizations. However this year we formally introduced our Give to Love Love to Give brand, which encompasses a collection of items where proceeds will go back to a designated charity.
Our Give to Love Love to Give collection has been a huge success thanks to your support. Year to date, for 2011, we have donated over $9.5M worth of money and merchandise donations. We, along with our charity partners, thank you for lending a helping hand to those who need it most.
Here are some of our recent charitable causes in 2011:
Everyone has the right to basic human necessities, such as healthy and nutritious food. FEED Projects' mission is to create good products that help FEED the world. By using environmentally-friendly and artisan-made materials, along with fair-labor production, to create all FEED products, FEED is proud to help FEED the world. Through our partnership, we were able to provide 71,120 meals. Visit www.feedprojects.com
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS)
HSUS is the nation's largest and most effective animal protection organization, backed by 11 million Americans. They help animals by advocating for better laws to protect animals; conducting campaigns to reform industries; providing animal rescue and emergency response; investigating cases of animal cruelty; and caring for animals through our sanctuaries and wildlife rehabilitation centers, emergency shelters and clinics. Through this collection, we were able to raise $32,773. Visit www.humanesociety.org
Japan Disaster Relief
Forever 21 donated 100% of its global online sales on Friday March 18 to support the victims of Japan's devastating earthquake and tsunami. All money spent on that day from any of Forever 21's global e-commerce sites, including www.forever21.com, www.forever21.eu, www.forever21.com/uk, www.forever21.co.kr and www.forever21.co.jp, was donated to the American Red Cross to aid the people of Japan. Online shoppers around the world took this opportunity to rekindle a glimmer of hope, faith and strength into the hearts of the people of Japan. We were pleased to announce that with the help of our customers from around the world, the relief campaign raised $2,012,112. Visit www.redcross.org
The American Red Cross
Since its founding in 1881 by visionary leader Clara Barton, the American Red Cross has been the nation's premier emergency response organization. As part of a worldwide movement that offers neutral humanitarian care to the victims of war, the American Red Cross distinguishes itself by also aiding victims of devastating natural disasters. Over the years, the organization has expanded its services, always with the aim of preventing and relieving suffering. This collection raised over $85,000 and allowed us to continue our support for the Japan relief efforts. Visit www.redcross.org
Susan G Komen for the Cure
In 1982, Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever. After Susan Komen lost her valiant battle Nancy set up SGK For the Cure Foundation. This organization has done amazing things to further the awareness and the need to find a cure for Breast Cancer. Aside from spearheading the Think Pink for October movement, they have donated over $1.9 billion. To date they are the largest source of nonprofit funds dedicated to this battle and we are proud to be working with them. Through this collection we hope to raise over $200,000. Visit www.komen.org
The Samburu Project
As we all know, the Horn of Africa is experiencing a drought and famine situation of epic proportions. Every day thousands of children die due to the lack of access to clean safe drinking water. The Samburu Project provides a simple solution to this extraordinary problem. They have drilled 40 wells in Samburu, Kenya benefitting 40,000 people and helping them end their lifelong struggle to find this precious resource. Instead of trekking 8 to 10miles a day to find water, the villages now can focus on things like education and community development. We partnered with The Samburu project to drill a well in Kenya. We are happy to announce that our Forever 21 Well will benefit 26 villages and over 1500 people. Visit www.thesamburuproject.org
Big Brothers Big Sisters
For more than 100 years, Big Brothers Big Sisters has operated under the belief that inherent in every child is the ability to succeed and thrive in life. As the nation's largest mentoring network, Big Brothers Big Sisters' mission is to provide children who are facing adversity with strong and enduring, professionally supported one-to-one relationships that change their lives for the better, forever. We are extremely pleased with this partnership and hope to raise $20,000. Visit www.bbbs.org
When a child or teenager has a serious medical condition, everyone in the family is affected. For almost 30 years, Starlight has dedicated itself to helping seriously ill children and their families cope with their pain, fear and isolation through entertainment, education and family activities. Instead of their days being filled with needles, hospitals and waiting, they can now fill their days with a little dreaming. To date, we have raised over a quarter million dollars for Starlight Children's Foundation. Visit www.starlight.org
American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)
Just as their name suggests, their mission is to provide effective means for the prevention of cruelty to animals throughout the United States. Through various programs such as adoption, shelter outreach, legislative lobbying against puppy mills, the ASPCA has done so much to help our furry friends. Through this collection, we hope to raise $85,000 so that we too, can lend a helping hand to our furry friends. Visit www.aspca.org
3. Environmental Policy:
Forever 21 is committed to reducing its environmental footprint throughout its global operations. Environmental sustainability is a key responsibility and we can play an integral role in ensuring that our impact is minimal in the countries where we source materials and products through to the markets where products are sold.
We will continue to transport our products via sea vs. airfreight in order to help reduce carbon emissions.
Our new stores are using energy efficient lighting systems to vastly cut down on the energy usage.
We recycle all shipment boxes at our distribution center daily.
We have many other new programs in the works- check in with us from time to time to see what's new.